Publishing Design_Task 3(A)



14/05/2024 - 11/06/2024 (Week 4 - Week 8)
Lee Jia Rou 0363293
GCD 61404 / Publishing Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 3 (A) / Book
Task 3 (B) / Ebook

✧✧Lecture✧✧
Lectures 01 - 05 can be found here.


✧✧Instructions✧✧


Content Included


Format & Grid System
When doing my exercise 02 in Task 01, I established that I wanted to make use of the size 190mmx2241mm.
Below are the measurements which I had used for the above layout.
Once I had decided on my book format, I attempted to use Exercise 06's grid.


Layout References
To get layout inspiration I explored some examples online.

Progress
After receiving feedback from Mr. Hijjaz, the layout of some word content was adjusted.
Fig. 1.2 Week 4 layout 
Fig. 1.3 Week 5 layout 
Fig. 1.4 Week 6-7 layout 


To print my actual book, I went with the mummy design after making changes to the work in InDesign. Before printing, choose the paper material and binding method. Because my book only has 32 pages, not all binding methods can be used, and the printing time is also different. I decided to use 170gsm maple white paper for the interior pages and 260gsm artcard paper with gloss lamination for the book cover. Because I chose perfect binding instead of staple binding, which is more expensive, and gloss lamination, which is an extra expense, the total cost of printing the complete book came to almost RM81.






Printout book 
E-book

Final submission 

✧✧Feedback✧✧
The font style all must be consistent otherwise the content may be messy.

✧✧Reflection ✧✧

Experience
I had a great time creating this book overall, I believe. It was one of the most enjoyable tasks of the semester, even though there were moments when I was so anxious about not knowing where to put things that I didn't believe I could finish it. I thoroughly loved being able to express myself through the book, its content, and its layout—possibly because we were given total creative power. For everyone reading, I had a terrific experience seeing how a print business operates, even though I hadn't anticipated paying so much for printing either.

Observation

I've come to understand that there is no one right approach to create a book thanks to this project. Seeing how my students are progressing every week is really quite motivating, since I can observe the various approaches they use to organising the material. Being in a setting where I can truly watch makes me feel like I'm learning immediately, especially because everyone in the class has a distinct technique.

Findings
I was occasionally obliged to utilise my time and practical talents to make things appear enjoyable because of this responsibility. Building the first chapter initially and then branching out to other chapters for variants is, in my opinion, the greatest approach. It's also quite beneficial, in my opinion, to consider the structure of your artwork. Looking back over the arrangement of earlier chapters provides me with ideas and direction when I'm not sure where to place certain sections.