Packaging and Merchandising Design- Project 1

Week 5 - Week 7 (23/05/2024 - 06/06/2024)
Lee Jia Rou 0363293
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
MER 60104/ Packaging and Merchandising Design
Project 1/ Box Making 


Instruction

Project 1
task more details:

  • Object Selection: Choose two little things, each measuring between 15 and 20 centimetres, from common places. Items like candles, novels, mugs, and sunglasses usually don't belong in standard packaging.

  • Justify your selection of these goods and the ways in which a personalised box will enhance their look and use.
For the packaging design assignment, we had to introduce two goods (non-boxed items) in week five. I settle on a comb and some swimming goggles. Mr. Shamsul gave me insightful advice on how to approach each product's package design throughout our session. He advises using bobby pins to bind the comb in order to make an online shopping box. He suggests packing swimming goggles individually. These pointers helped me understand how crucial it is to design appealing and well-rounded packaging that not only presents the product beautifully but also benefits the customer.

Fig. 1.1comb and pins
Fig. 1.2 goggle 
Sketches
I started drawing the appearance of each product box after getting comments on my packaging ideas. I created a number of design possibilities, each of which reflected the knowledge I acquired from the preliminary comments. After finishing these sketches, I got in touch with Mr. Shamsul to get his opinion and advice. In addition to being aesthetically pleasing, I wanted my ideas to be useful and efficient. Mr. Shamsul's knowledge and helpful critiques were really helpful in honing my ideas and improving my designs.
Fig. 2.1 goggle sketch

Fig. 2.2 comb sketch

Digitalize 
I then turned the sketches into digital copies using Adobe Illustrator because we would need to print them out for the model. I made two distinct layers—one for the die-cut lines, indicated in black, and another for the guiding lines, indicated in red—to guarantee accuracy and clarity. Because it enables the printer to distinguish between two sets of lines and cut them at two distinct thermal rates, this layering approach is essential to the laser cutting process. This method guarantees a clean and accurate end output.

Progress

In Week 7, we visited the laser cutting facility with Mr. Shamsul, where we were instructed on how to use the equipment and print our dielines. He gave us a thorough rundown of how to use the laser cutter, and I found it fascinating to watch the cutting process for the first time in real life. It was fascinating to watch the machine's speed and accuracy.

Fig. 3.1 goggle digital die line
Fig. 3.2 comb digital die line
Fig. 3.3 goggle box laser cut out 
Fig. 3.4 goggle box laser cut out 2
Fig. 3.5 goggle box folding

Final
I tried to print out my die lines after hearing his explanation and did what he instructed. Since it was unfamiliar to me, I had trouble at first and was a bit puzzled. But as I kept at it and got more comfortable with the procedure, I was able to print my die-cut lines effectively. However, as I did so, I saw that there was a mistake in my design, which prevented the box from closing. I eventually had to use the most inventive approach of hand cutting when I discovered that the laser cutting machine was not operating correctly after class while I was reprinting.
Fig 4.1 comb box folding 
Fig 4.2 comb box folding 2
Fig 4.3 comb box folding 3
Fig 4.4 comb box folding 4
Fig 4.5 comb box folding 5
Fig 4.6 goggle box folding 1
Fig 4.7 goggle box folding 2
Fig 4.8 goggle box folding 3
Fig 4.9 goggle box folding 4
Feedback
Week 5
Combine each of the products to make the package more aesthetically pleasing.

Week 6
The drawings are great, just make sure that the real prototypes' dimensions are precise.

Reflection
Experience
It was an interesting experience. I'm still learning how to use the printing and cutting procedures, it will be my biggest problem. Nevertheless, the project turned out to be really helpful as it taught me about the many kinds of materials that are used in the printing and packaging industries.

Observation
I was able to see a wide range of package designs through this activity, each showcasing a unique creative approach and method. Looking at the work of my classmates opened my eyes to fresh ideas and provided insightful information about their creative processes.

Findings
Through this practice, I learnt a lot of different folding and cutting techniques. I had to figure out the best practices by hand as I didn't have access to a laser cutter. Even though we attended lectures on these subjects, practical experience was crucial to fully grasping the procedure. I was able to understand the topics better through this practical method than I could have from any academic session.